For Inpatient, ED and L&D Nurses
Effective immediately, the Travel Screening activity in Epic has been updated with a revised workflow and questions in accordance with the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The following changes have been made:
- The first COVID-19 screening question now asks if, within the last month, the patient has:
- Been on ANY international travel. (Note: the list of five high-risk countries has been removed.)
- Been exposed to anyone suspected OR confirmed to have COVID-19.
- The symptoms verification question includes fever or lower respiratory illness (e.g. – cough, shortness of breath, pneumonia), as well as the following instructions for patients with any positive symptoms:
- Provide the patient with a surgical mask to cover their mouth and nose.
- Don a surgical mask and eye protection and escort the patient to the appropriate room for isolation.
- Place the patient on droplet or airborne precautions (see algorithm precaution selection), along with contact precautions and eye protection.
- Contact the Infection Control Practitioner.
- Keep patient’s room door closed at all times. When entering the patient’s room don the appropriate PPE according to the COVID-19 precautions algorithm. Remove mask and eye protection after exiting the patient’s room.