Providers systemwide are taking advantage of Secure Chat as their on-the-go solution to communicate and collaborate more efficiently using Epic Mobile apps Haiku and Canto.
What is Secure Chat?
- Secure Chat is a HIPPA-compliant messaging tool within Epic that allows you to quickly and securely text non-emergent communications to other providers, clinicians and most staff.
- You can chat with one person or in groups, exchanging general messages or discussing detailed patient information, including photos.
When do I use Secure Chat?
- Only use Secure Chat for non-urgent communication and collaboration.
- For urgent or immediate patient care needs, continue to use your current communication channels.
Why should I use Secure Chat?
- With Secure Chat, you can:
- Easily and securely exchange patient information and share images.
- Access your patient’s chart directly from the chat.
- Place orders when you launch your patient’s chart using Secure Chat through Haiku/Canto.
- Note: Orders cannot be placed via the chat feature.
- You must still document patient care and treatment in Epic notes.
- Cosign orders and notes within the chart.
- Complete In Basket
- Receive new message notifications.
- Set your availability status.
How do I access Secure Chat?
- You can access Secure Chat within Epic via Epic Mobile or your desktop.
- For maximum efficiency, use Epic Mobile apps (Haiku/Canto).
- Make sure you set/use push notifications.
- For more information, review the Secure Chat for Haiku/Canto tip sheet, which also includes push notifications instructions.
- Your desktop.
- For details, read the Secure Chat on HM Desktop/Workstation tip sheet.
Besides using Secure Chat, what are other benefits of using Epic Mobile apps?
- With iOS devices, you can:
- Order inpatient and outpatient medications/procedures.
- Manage your In Basket.
- Review notes, meds and allergies.
- Complete interval updates for upcoming procedures.
- Get push notifications for labs and radiology.
- Take photographs.
- View radiology images/studies.
- Enter charges.
How can I get Epic Mobile apps (Haiku/Canto) and start working more efficiently?
- Contact the Physician IT Help Desk at 832.667.5555, select option 2.
- Reach out to your local IT Field Ops team.
- Contact your campus Physician Support Coordinator.
How can I find out more about Secure Chat?