Now through Friday, May 1 at 12:01 a.m.
We’re beginning a ramp up of all surgeries, per the most recent directive given by Gov. Abbott. This includes all surgical procedures, including elective procedures.
However, now through Friday, May 1 at 12:01 a.m., you must continue adhering to the restrictions of medical necessity for posting cases. We have implemented the tools below to facilitate this effort.
Until Friday, May 1 at 12:01 a.m.:
- If you currently use paper/fax to schedule surgeries:
- You must use the Houston Methodist Surgery Case Request & Review form.
- You are required to appropriately document medical necessity.
- This form includes the required medical necessity attestation.
- Failure to use this form may result in scheduling delays.
- If you request cases directly in Epic:
- To proceed, you are required to answer a new medical necessity question and list serious adverse medical consequences of not performing the surgery within the case request.
As we take deliberate measures to ramp up our perioperative areas, through Friday, May 1, all cases posted will be monitored by an interdisciplinary team of Houston Methodist OR leadership, surgery chiefs and executive leadership to ensure compliance.
As always, all surgeries will be done in a manner that is safe for our physicians, staff and patients. We will keep you updated as more information is available. Thank you for your patience and teamwork as we navigate this together.
For more information, read Return to Services FAQ.