Starting Tuesday, April 20, 9 a.m., the COVID-19 Qualitative PCR [LAB3555] order will include six new Ask on Order Entry (AOE) questions when a COVID-19 test is ordered in Epic. This is due to a new CARES Act amendment requirement.
To comply with this requirement without disrupting workflows, we’ve made the following changes:
- AOE questions will only apply to orders placed for suspected/PUI – they do not apply to orders placed for pre-procedure or non-PUI purposes.
- Responses to AOE questions are automatically populated for the order, based on patient criteria.
- You have the option to amend any automatically populated answers, as appropriate.
- AOE questions are as follows:
- Is the patient employed in healthcare with direct patient contact?
- Is the patient symptomatic for COVID-19 as defined by CDC?
- Date of symptom onset.
- Is the patient hospitalized for COVID-19?
- Is the patient admitted to ICU for COVID-19?
- Is the patient a resident in a congregate (group) care setting?
- Is the patient pregnant?
Starting Tuesday, April 20, 9 a.m.:
- When you place a COVID-19 QUALITATIVE PCR [LAB3555] order and answer No to the question, Is this for pre-procedure or non-PUI assessment?, the remaining questions will appear on the order, in the shopping cart with responses automatically populated.
- In the shopping cart, click on the order to enter the symptom onset date and if needed, manually update the other responses.