For All Providers, Clinical Support Staff
New Referral Order Effective Now
Houston Methodist has received allocations of bamlanivimab, a monoclonal antibody for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19. This received Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the FDA. Patients meeting EUA criteria can be referred for ambulatory infusion by placing an Amb Referral to COVID-19 monoclonal antibody infusion (REF1001) order in Epic.
COVID-19 monoclonal antibody therapy (e.g., bamlanivimab, Casirivimab-Imdevimab) at HM should be administered to adult patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 as soon as possible after a positive viral test for SARS-CoV-2 and within 10 days of symptom onset.
COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment is for patients meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Have a body mass index (BMI) ≥ 35
- Have chronic kidney disease
- Have diabetes
- Have immunosuppressive disease
- Are currently receiving immunosuppressive treatment
- Are ≥ 65 years of age
- Are ≥ 55 years of age AND have cardiovascular disease, OR hypertension, OR chronic obstructive pulmonary disease/other chronic respiratory diseases.
Before signing the order in Epic, you must attest that the patient meets the criteria and that treatment and alternatives were discussed. Additionally, you must provide the patient’s risk factors and obtain the patient’s consent to receive therapy.
The REF1001 order will initiate a new workflow in Epic to facilitate this treatment. The referral center pharmacist will contact patients, review their criteria, facilitate patient education and coordinate scheduling.
COVID-19 monoclonal antibody therapy is best administered at our specialized outpatient infusion centers at HMH, HMSL and HMCCH now, and HMTW starting Monday, Dec. 7.
- Referral for COVID-19 Monoclonal Antibody Infusion tip sheet
- EpicCare Link Referral to COVID Monoclonal Ab tip sheet
- Bamlanivimab EUA Fact Sheet
- Casirivimab/Imdevimab EUA Fact Sheet
- HM Ambulatory COVID-19 Guide
If you have questions, please call 346.356.1766 or email COVID19MAB@houstonmethodist.org